When Two Souls Meet



I was exhausted from the train ride into Fort William and needed a nap before we got to our next destination. The coach was heading more north into Scotland and it was going to be a few hours before we reached the next city. I was in and out of sleep due to the winding curves of the road. Our guide began letting us know we were approaching Loch Ness, and it wouldn't be long till we reached the city we were heading to. I laid back to relax and tried to close my eyes once more. Suddenly, the sun began shining through the trees; I opened my eyes to look out the window. Something was telling me to say that same prayer once more. After saying the prayer, I felt at peace from within. A feeling I have had before from a single prayer but this time it felt different. I felt like I was waking up from a dream or a very long nap. When we arrived in Inverness, of course, it was much bigger than I thought. As some of us know from the book Outlander. Inverness was the main village that Claire and Frank were staying in before she went through the stones into the 17th century Scotland. I was excited about seeing the city that has been written more than once in the book series. Though the excitement of reaching our destination felt different. Inverness felt familiar and I could actually see myself living in a city like this. I had a feeling this familiarity wasn't due to Outlander, though.

Our guide was telling us a little history of Inverness and pointing out the different landmarks throughout the city. We drove onto the bridge over River Ness towards our hotel that we would be staying at for the next 3 nights. We arrive at the hotel, my roommate and I was the first ones to get our keys to the room. The man showed us which building our room was located so I followed behind her. I didn't even ask her what our room number was because I was too tired from the long drive. We started up the spiraling staircase, and she stops. I ask her where our room is, and she replies with, "It's right here!" She kind of moves to the side and I take a look at the room number so I can remember it. While she was putting the key card through the slot, all I thought to myself was our room number is 111. I was just starring at it thinking what a coincidence that it is the same number I have been seeing everywhere for quite some time now. I shrugged it off and walked in to take a look around. We had a river view from our window and stood across the river was Inverness Cathedral with a beautiful sunset in the background. After looking around the room and taking a few pictures outside our window. It was time to go down into the hotel lobby to meet our guide about doing one of the small group tours when we get to Edinburgh. After we met with him, she and I start walking towards the hotel bar. This was where the rest of our group was waiting until the hotel staff was ready for us to come to dinner. There were two parts of the bar, and everyone was in the lounging area. I walked down the stairs and took a hard turn to the left at the bar. I stopped in my tracks, there he was indeed standing on the other side of the bar. When my eyes met him, I had this feeling that he felt familiar to me. Yes, I thought he was handsome and seemed nice, but the words "I want to get to know him better" ate at my heart. I knew he wasn't Scottish, though. I knew he had to be Western or Eastern European. It was my turn to ask for a drink and then our guide just had to come to get us for dinner.

Our dinner was buffet style and she told me she would hold my place in line so I can go back to get our drinks. I didn't see him at the upper bar, so I went back down into the lounging area. It was just him and me, then some man sitting on one of the sofas. He asked me what I wanted to drink, and I told him. We talked a little bit because of course, I was trying to make conversation with him. I paid for our drinks and proceeded to go back to the dining area. As I topped the stairs, I met one of the ladies within our group she asks, "What is it?" I guess I had this blushing smile across my face. I tell her our bartender is pretty cute. She asked me if I wanted her to ask him if he had a girlfriend. I hesitated but shrugged my shoulders and said, "Sure why not." I got back in line and told my roommate what she was going to do. I said to her, "He has to have a girlfriend because he's too cute not to have one. If so, I wouldn't even try talking to him later after dinner." I was super nervous to hear what she was going to say once she got back to the dining area. I see her coming back towards me and she is smiling from ear to ear. I was not expecting the answer to the question she asked. She says, "They broke up two weeks ago, and he guessed who the girl was I was asking the question for." I am sure I was blushing hard about the fact he knew it was me asking. I ask, "How would he have known it was me?" She replies back with, "Who knows maybe you caught his attention too." Another girl from our group jokingly says, "I know who is buying our drinks tonight!" We all laughed about what she said, and they all tell me I needed to go back down after dinner to talk to him. I needed to step out of my comfort zone for once and do something I normally would not do. We got done eating and we made plans to head back down into the bar to have a few more drinks.

He was super busy getting drinks for people and cleaning up after everyone. I could tell from the look on his face he was ready to go and probably wished we would leave too. I went back up to the bar for another cider, and he remembered exactly what I had been drinking earlier. I again tried making a conversation by asking him how his night had been. He proceeded to answer my question, but I could tell he was a little reserved and nervous with talking to me. He was at work, though, so I tried not to linger much at the bar making conversation. The night was getting later, and we all had to start heading back to our rooms. We had an early morning, so we needed to get to bed. Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness and a boat ride across the loch was on the agenda for the next day. I have always thought the Loch Ness Monster story was interesting so I was super excited about this part of the trip. I knew the moment that my eyes saw him I didn't want to leave Inverness. Especially, without telling him I wanted to get to know him better but how would I? Our group would only be here for a few nights. The only time I am bold and brave is when I have a few drinks in me. That just wouldn't be the smart thing to do when you are trying to talk to a guy. I am very shy when it comes to a man I am attracted to and this familiarity I had towards him was strong. My head was spinning and I kept questioning if this was real.

The next night he wasn't in the hotel bar, so I started to think maybe it just wasn't meant for us to meet again. I tried forgetting about it but something kept telling me not to give up. Then the last night approached and after dinner that evening I went down into the bar where everyone was. The same lady who asked him the questions on the first night asked me where I had been because she knew where he was. She had been doing some investigating and started asking the other guys working there where he could be. She said, "I even got his name too!" One of his colleagues shows us where the restaurant was, and we start heading towards it. As soon as I walked through the doors, there he was. I almost turned around and walked out of the restaurant. If it wasn't for the two being with me for support, I would have walked right out those doors. We walked towards the bar and sat down at one of the tables. The girl took our order then I took a deep breath. They both knew how nervous I was and encouraged me to go on with my plan of letting him know. It was one of those situations that you never know what could come out of it unless you tried. I was one of those girls who stopped trying a long time ago because I always got let down. He didn't make it any easier for me because every time he would come into the area we were, he would glance at me. If that doesn't make a girl's heart even more nervous then I don't know what would. We ate our desserts and finished our drinks then the time came for us to get the checks. Then one of the ladies pulls out the menu we had earlier at dinner and gives it to me. He comes back to the bar to pour a drink from the tap, and she asked him for a pen. From the look on his face, it showed he knew what was coming next. She told me I was going to write down what I wanted to say then give him my name and number. They both tell me you will never know unless you do it. I wrote, "I don't have much time here, but I want to get to know you more." Then I wrote my name, number, where I was from and my travel Instagram. I couldn't give him the note face to face because I was too nervous, so she did it for me as I went to the bathroom. I wanted to make sure his pen and my note made it into his hands before we left. I heard him tell her, "Thank you, darling." After the note was given to him, we proceeded to walk out of the restaurant. My roommate and I decided to walk around the city since it was our last night there. I told her as we were walking and taking pictures that if he doesn't respond back to me then I know it just wasn't meant to be. I would be perfectly fine with that because I followed my heart. It has been the first time in a while that I had, and it felt right.

We get back to our hotel room and about 15 to 20 minutes go by. She was on the phone with her son, and I was getting ready for bed. Luckily, we had packed earlier because it was midnight, and we were leaving early in the morning for Edinburgh. My phone goes off with a message, and my heart jumped with emotion, it was him! I truly deep down thought he wouldn't message me because why would a guy message an American girl on a tour that he may never see again. We talked for maybe a good hour or two asking each other questions. He jokingly tells me I am supposed to leave him a note at the beginning of my stay other than waiting right at the end. He told me he would have liked to have taken me out for a drink so we could get to know one another before I left Inverness. When I asked him where he was from, and I assumed it right Eastern Europe. I looked over at my roommate with shock, I tell her, "He is from Romania." She looks at me with a surprised look. We start remembering the conversation she and I had with a couple within our group in Balmacara before heading to Inverness. This couple was going to be heading to Romania after the trip to Scotland. Another crazy thing is I have always loved the Dracula story by Bram Stoker, and he tells me he is from an area not too far from Bran Castle. Romania, Transylvanian areas have been on my list to visit for quite some time now due to the novel. I have always thought Romania is a beautiful country, though. I started remembering the prayer I had prayed twice at the beginning of the trip and right before we arrived in the city he lived in. I couldn't unsee the signs that had been unfolding in front of me this whole time. I was ignoring these signs because they were so far off from what I have ever experienced before. These types of meetings only happen in the movies, that is what I kept saying to myself. I couldn't help feeling like God, the universe, or maybe the stars had finally aligned for this to be happening right now. I kept thinking to myself, is this for real?

The next morning comes, and we are getting ready to set out on our journey to Edinburgh. It was going to be a long coach ride ahead of us but we had a few stops along the way. He had told me the night before he would talk to me the next day but I still hadn't heard from him. I kept staying optimistic though that he would message me. We stop in a small little town called Pitlochry for lunch and to shop. Our tour guide kept telling us that if we wanted some good food then we should try McKays Hotel, Bar & Restaurant. My roommate and I decided that was where we would eat. We walk in, the girl asks where we would like to sit and we both tell her it didn't matter. She tells us she would sit us by the window, so we could watch the world go by. We laugh and tell her it sounds wonderful. Not a moment after we placed our order, my phone goes off and it's him. I start beaming with a smile across my face, and she gets the chills. She wanted to know what he said, and she tells me he seems excited to message you today. He proceeds to let me know he tried sending me a Facebook friend request but he couldn't. I remember I had it set to where only friends of friends could send me a request. He tells me to add him if I wanted too and so I do. He asks me what I am up to and I tell him we have stopped in Pitlochry to eat lunch and shop. I tell him where we are eating, and he tells me that the hotel is part of his hotel chain. I look at her and say, "This is beginning to be a little wild." She agrees with me but she does tell me that maybe it's the soul strain connection that she felt that we both had with one another.


He and I talked for the rest of my time in Scotland. I enjoyed talking to him, and the conversations just flowed so easily. I felt connected to him as I had known him forever. Honestly, I felt like within those moments we had this soul tied connection. This is hard to explain without sounding crazy, so you should look it up. I never thought two people thousands of miles away from each other could connect like this and have similar things in common. The departure day came, and I began to feel emotional as we left the hotel heading to the airport in Edinburgh. I didn't want to leave because I had bonded more with a place that I loved so much. Scotland had played a huge part in my healing process over the last three and a half years and I had found another place to call home. He messaged me while waiting for the time to come for us to board the plane. I am sure he thought I was silly getting all emotional about leaving Scotland because he told me I was going to be fine. He let me know he hoped I would have a safe journey home and I thought that was super sweet of him to care. Home, I did miss being there, I missed my family and my dog. God knew what my heart was really saying at that very moment. I wanted to go back to Inverness for just a few more days to meet him again before heading home. Unfortunately, that was not going to happen. I told him we were boarding the plane, and it would probably be 6 more hours until we reached New York. He was curious to know how long it would take us to be back in the United States. I told him I would be home after midnight his time so he would know I was home. I got emotional and teared up as the plane lifted into the air. My roommate laid her head on my shoulder and told me it was going to be okay. She told me when a person found a soul connection in someone or a place; they are to follow it. She basically was letting me know I wasn't crazy for feeling this way and this is why I felt emotional. I had met a person who I felt was amazing. Out of all the places in the world, he lived in a place that had my heart. Once I got back home to Tennessee, I didn't know what was to come of this. I did know if God was the reason why all of this fell into place. Then he would for sure follow through with the reason why he and I met.

It was Monday morning, and I finally had woken up from sleeping in. No matter how much rest you get from a long flight, you are still super tired. Our conversation continued that whole day with questions, so we can learn about each other more. I had always been scared to be too open with someone new because I always get let down in the end. He told me he still couldn't believe he was talking to someone from America, and I thought to myself this all started out with just a little note. If I would have never been brave, this moment wouldn't be happening right now. My thanks all had to go to the two ladies on my trip though, without their encouragement this connection would have never happened. I learned a lot about him, how long he had been living in Scotland, his home in Romania, his family and much more on the same day. I enjoyed learning about him and his culture, but this felt much deeper. I truly wanted to get to know him for who he was. It just made me want to pack my bags again and book a flight to Romania. Better yet, book a flight back to Scotland. Later that night, the question came up about what happened between my ex and me. Why was an amazing girl like me still single after almost 4 years? I hesitated to answer because every time I tell a guy my story of what I went through and what I have gone through since then. He ends up not talking to me anymore, or it is too deep for him to handle. He did tell me I didn't have to answer if it was something I didn't want to talk about but I told him anyway. In the back of my mind, I felt safe with telling him. I also told him I hadn't met the right man yet and I am not the one to settle for less than what I knew I deserved now. He was pretty shocked to learn I had gone through some rough stuff emotionally. He said he would have never thought because the girl I was showing him seemed strong. I told him it had taken some soul searching in rediscovering who I am again and to become stronger than I was before. He instantly opened up to me about his recent relationship and the hardships he has encountered within his life. For a man to have gone through all of this and still live on with a beautiful heart and soul. I told him he deserved the world, but he quickly answered back with I was the one who deserved the world. I kept saying to myself I hope and pray he is being true with me because all I have ever gotten from people in the past were lies. Though deep down I had this feeling of just knowing he was being real with me about whom he was.

A week or two goes by, and he tells me he was afraid he had lost my note. He finally found it and sent me a picture of it. I instantly started gushing because I couldn't believe he actually was still keeping it. He proceeds to tell me his side of the story about the night I first walked into the bar. I laugh inside. I had been waiting for him to tell me his side of the story because I already knew. He told me he had noticed me too and remembers exactly when I came into the restaurant. He had a message exchange between him and another colleague because he was wondering how I knew he was at the restaurant working. He tells me I basically would have never known he existed if he hadn't filled in for someone at the hotel bar the first night of our arrival. He is the manager over food and beverage, so he normally works at the restaurant, but goes back and forth some. The night at the restaurant he was working later than usual because he had let other colleagues leave early. He decided to stay out on the floor to help since they were short-handed. He tells me he normally goes into his office around 9:00 p.m. to do some paperwork. Then usually leave work around 11:00 p.m. If none of this ever had happened then he and I would have never met. Was this just pure luck? Or did God really have a hand in our meeting?

He had gone back home to Romania in September to visit his family for about 2 weeks. I really didn't expect to hear from him that much at all. He messaged me part of the time and sent me pictures. I thought to myself he must really enjoy getting to know me because he is making time for me while he is back home. I could tell he really loved his family and missed them dearly. One of the many things I adored about him. He seemed happy to be back in Scotland after his long trip but a part of me could feel he missed being home. The weeks turned into months and I still couldn't believe this all had happened. I didn't know what this was, but I enjoyed building something with him. Deep down though I was falling for him, and I was falling hard. I knew he wasn't ready to be in another relationship especially with someone who lived thousands of miles away. I told him how I had been feeling for a while because I felt like I needed to. He told me how he felt, but it wasn't what I thought. I was confused because the way he had been towards me made me think he felt the same way. Maybe a little part of him had feelings there, but he just consciously wasn't ready to completely act upon them. He still needed his time to be alone and figure his life out. I understood and respected that because I had been in this same position before. He honestly just needed a good friend right now.

The only answer I had was to put my heart first so I told him I thought we needed to not talk for a while. He didn't understand because that wasn't what he was asking of me, but I had to do this. I was falling for him and didn't want to continue talking every day if it wasn't going turn into something more on down the road. It was going to be hard for me not to talk to him but I had been in this place before. All it ever did before was keep me hoping that someday it would turn into something. I was protecting my heart but honestly, I only broke my heart by making this decision. I let him know I was still here for him as a friend if he wanted me to be. The next two days we talked but after the second day, it all faded away. This is when I knew he had taken me seriously this whole time. He was probably doing what I told him I thought was best for a while. He was giving me space but he continues with figuring his life out. To be honest, I miss him and our conversations every day. If I did break his heart a little by making the choice to not speak for a while I am not too sure if I will ever know. I can't count on my fingers how many times he had told me I am a strong girl and I have such a heart of gold. He told me he truly had never met a girl like me before but I quickly answered with he had to have met plenty of girls like me. He told me he really hadn't, not one with a heart of gold like mine. I had asked him one evening why he was so sweet to me and he answers with, "Because you are sweet to me and you deserve it." I thought he deserved the most beautiful heart in return. I know I could have given him that, but he was not ready for it.

It has been very hard for me to open up to anyone, not in the way I did for him. I have had men come into my life and just chisel at my walls. He didn't come with a chisel; he came with a sledgehammer and those walls came crashing down. For the longest time, there was darkness in this area of my life. He managed to make sure daylight showed through my life every day. I have talked to men before who only pointed out my weaknesses and made me feel bad in the end for feeling the way I had. He reminded me every day of my strengths and made sure I knew he noticed them. He never once reminded me of my weaknesses, and I am sure he knew what they were. He didn't want to just turn the pages and glance through the book of my life. He wanted to read my whole book from word to word. This was not because I came from a different world and culture. It felt much more than that because he wanted to get to know me on a much deeper level. He wasn't any guy out here who only wanted my attention. For the first time, a man knew my worth, noticed me and wanted to get to know my heart. He treated me with respect and made known to me what I deserved with someone. He knew of my accomplishments and talents; he would praise me for them. He opened me up and made me really look inside my heart to who I was as a woman. Most importantly, he listened to me and was there. I think he adored everything that there is about me and I feel like he still does. He didn't have to tell me, I could feel it in his energy within his messages. I felt the same way about him, and I still do. If I ever made any positive impact on his life, I wouldn't be sure if I will ever know but I hope I did. I hope I helped him look on the inside and see what a wonderful human being he truly is. The beautiful soul I saw in him. If he is everything he presented to me then he does deserve to have the most beautiful heart and soul in return.


I am sitting here watching a movie from the Hallmark Channel tonight. I am watching two people meet each other and the moment they do meet there is this attraction for one another instantly the moment they lock eyes. They have two different jobs, live in two different cities, and come from two different worlds. In fact, people don't typically think things work out like they do in the movies. You never know what could happen when two souls meet for the first time. I do believe God brings people together for a reason and it doesn't matter the distance between the two. I believe these people can encounter each other anywhere in the world and be from two separate continents. If souls are meant to cross paths, he will make certain they do on his timetable. God knows what and who is best for us. Even if these two people are meant to be in a relationship, gain friendship in one another, or they could merely be passing through each other’s lives to help. My story is just proof of what magic can happen when two souls meet out of nowhere for the first time. The answer is yes, I do believe these meetings happen like they do in the movies. It may not happen exactly just like the movies but it happens almost every day in the way that it's supposed to. People meet each other every day in various different ways. If two souls are supposed to meet, fate will always come through.


I had decided on not going back to Scotland before last year because college was more important to me at the time. After I made that conscious decision I knew I was going to regret it. The months went by, and I began to see little signs that were related to Scotland. I would begin to question if this was God or the universe telling me I needed to go back and if there was a reason why I had to. To some, this would sound silly but to me, I just knew it wasn't. I believe when we are shown things we are to follow them. The first morning back in Scotland I said one prayer upon Conic Hill in Balmaha because I wanted God to show me why I had to come back. Then I was prompt to say the same prayer once more before arriving into Inverness. I can say this has happened to me on more than one occasion but nothing compares to this. Little did I know signs were being presented to me before we arrived in Inverness and after I walked into the bar that night. These signs of connection were small but they were adding up as the months went by with us getting to know each other. I believe we were meant to meet each other because there was something in each of us that the other needed. He and I have talked off and on since the time I told him we didn't need to talk for a while. Even though the conversations aren't like they used to be; I can feel it still makes him happy to hear from me. I believe something between us is unfinished but only God knows the answer to that. I do not know if we are to ever meet again, but I stay optimistic, though. I have a feeling one day we will, and it might be sooner than we think.


-The Vintage Writer















Comments

Popular Posts